So, what can it do for me?
If you need to turn on a PC or shut it down from the control system, you can use this function.
E.g. you have a class room where you need to show a presentation. With one button press, you can turn on the projector, the amplifier for sound, roll down a screen and turn on the PC from where to run the presentation.
When you are finished with the presentation, you can press the off button to shut down the projector and the PC etc.
- You must use a Neets Control system that can control a LAN device.
- A computer that support WOL using “magic packet”.
- To turn off the computer, you need to Windows 2000 or higher.
The Autoshutdown software do not run as a service. This means that it will not run before a
user is logging into the computer.
How-to Wake On LAN (WOL)
- Make a new device in the Device Editor.
- In the LAN section choose UDP as protocol and select a UDP port to broadcast on.
- Make sure that HEX input mode is selected.
- In the Power on sequence enter the following: FF FF FF FF FF FF, followed by the MAC address (on the network adapter of the PC you want to wake up), repeated 16 times. This equals 102 bytes, and is called a “magic packet”. The command should look something like “FF FF FF FF FF FF AA BB CC DD EE FF AA BB CC DD EE FF AA …”
- In the Power off sequence enter the following:
4E 45 45 54 53 41 55 54 4F 53 48 55 54 44 4F 57 4E 20, followed by the MAC address (on
the network adapter of the PC you want to wake up), repeated 4 times. This equals 42 bytes. The command should look something like 4E 45 45 54 53 41 55 54 4F 53 48 55 54 44 4F 57 4E 20 AA BB CC DD EE FF AA BB CC DD EE FF AA …”
- Create a new project and attach the created device to the LAN port on the control system.
- Now setup the LAN connection on you device, the selected IP address must be 255.255.255.255:
- On the button where you want to turn the PC on attach the On sequence you made in the device and the off sequence to the off button.
How-to turn off the PC from the control system
Like the WakeOnLAN function it is not possible to directly do the same with the network adapter, by sending a “magic packet” to that. Instead, you should use the Autoshutdown software from Neets, which can be used in the desired way. You can download it from our website here
- Install the Auto shutdown utility on the PC that should be shutdown.
- Start the Auto shutdown utility and select the network interface and UDP port number to listen to.
The above description only works together with Neets Auto shutdown version 1.0.3 or higher.